Sunday, September 14, 2008

Epicurious



Nothing says Ohio like Malaysian freshwater prawns. Some crazy Xmas tree farmer who doesn't have enough to do dug these ponds and raised shrimp for the first time this year. I made a Thai soup with a recipe from Caitlyn who spent two years there. It was pretty good except I couldn't find lemongrass, even at our fake Whole Foods. Or Kaffir lime leaves, which I knew I had no chance finding. So I just poured some Sprite in and figured I got the lemon and lime favors covered (not recommended btw). Here are some pics before I beheaded the poor things. How come I can just rip their heads off their bodies and I don't really worry about it? I don't think I could just pop the head off a rabbit with such disregard. Oh, I also made bread from a recipe from NYTimes food guy Mark Bittman. It is so easy and so good. Go to the web and find it and make it, you'll be a happier person if you do. It takes about a day but 3 minutes of actual work.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

you should be a prawn for halloween

W said...

mmm ohio prawns! What if they escaped and invaded the local ecosystem...becoming delicious spiced shrimp for local water fowl?